Pages

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Living in Lisa Frank Color!

This outfit really reminds me of my old childhood favorite, Lisa Frank.  Famous for her bright neon colors, rainbows, crazy patterns and mythical creatures, as a kid I was mesmerized by her art and thought "if only the world could look a little more like this."  Her collection recently had a revival on UrbanOutfitters, with vintage folder sets, stickers, and book covers available to those nostalgic fans from the 80s and 90s.  I think I might have to drop $3.99 on a vintage folder before they're all gone!


So I must tell you about this coat.  I am in LOVE with this coat.  Like, if realtionship statuses were possible between clothing items, this is the one I'd be involved with..(ok, that sounded a little strange).  But this coat really does tickle my fancy.  I found it on Etsy about 4 years ago, and though it arrived to me with a very damaged lining I wore it around everywhere, until it was almost impossible to get my arm in the sleeve (the ripped lining had taken residence there).  Daniel took it to get relined for my birthday last year and it was a total surprise.  I opened the coat closet and said "honey, where's my plaid coat?!?" He was pretty good at keeping a secret, and I couldn't have been more happy when it arrived home with a delightful orange lining, all fixed and no worse for wear!

These rainbow gloves are amazing.  I got them from Daniel's mom for Christmas and not only are they surprisingly warm, but they are also fair trade and were sold to support a small village, and did I mention SO much fun to wear!?!?  She knows me too well.


And this house is one of my favorites for pictures.  It's about 2 minutes from where I live (hop, skip, jump) and I love the place.  Sort of sad how much it's gone down hill in just the year and a half that we've lived here, but I see so much beauty in its decay, and it makes a wonderful backdrop for my crazy bright outfits.







There I go jumping again! :D


Here is my kitty skirt!  I found this sweet skirt on etsy a few years ago and though I absolutely love it, I have not worn it in a while because it was sitting in a bag in the corner of my closet and was all balled up (and very wrinkly) I took it to work for some steaming and it was as good as new!  I love the kitten print and yellow peplum on this skirt, it's so much fun and really livens things up! The talented lady who made it has a shop HERE

Coat: vintage, scarf: Forever 21, Cardigan: Target, Belt: vintage, Tights: WeLoveColors, Shoes: Forever21, Gloves: an amazing fair trade shop, Bow: Target, Skirt: Etsy by the present "noslowjams"

Thanks for coming by and checking out my rainbow outfit :)

And if you're feeling nostalgic, (and can relate to my childhood obsession) here are some Lisa Frank delights from the 90's!



and you can find your vintage favorites here: Vintage Lisa Frank Collection <3

Did you love Lisa Frank as a kid?

Have a fabulous day!

xo, Alyssa

32 comments:

  1. This is such a pretty outfit! The colours work really well together and you are such a stunning lady!
    Following you now!

    Have a relaxed Sunday,
    -Kati

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kati!! I really like your blog and am following you now too :) Hope you are having a great start to your week! <3

      Delete
  2. I love that coat so much Alyssa! Oh, and I was totally obsessed with Lisa Frank when I was a kid. I had no idea UO was selling their stuff! I also just realized I wasn't following you? I am now ♥

    xo

    Ashley

    Southern (California) Belle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ashley! Yea, I was excited to see Urban was carrying some of the stuff from the 90s, so much fun to harken back :D Thanks for the follow, lovely lady! :)

      Delete
  3. I love the scenery! Is it an abandoned house? I love to explore abandoned houses :)

    Enjoy your sunday!!!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Larissa!! Yes, it is an abandoned house, I am a huge fan of abandoned places :D I actually used to belong to an urban exploring group, hehe, but I got a little busy and don't see them too much anymore, we keep in touch though, and I still go on adventures when I can :)

      Delete
  4. Such a colorful and amazing look!

    Have an amazing week,
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This coat is AMAZING! That is so sweet that he got it re-lined for you, its those thoughtful little gifts that really are the best! This is totally Lisa Frank and I love every part of it, especially the kitty skirt. I ordered something from U.O. last month and was so excited when it arrived with some Lisa Frank stickers on the side! Lastly, this photo location is perfect, especially with such a colorful outfit. I often find broken down places the prettiest!
    Hope you're having a great weekend!
    xo Hannah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet comments, Hannah :) So fun that you got Lisa Frank stickers with your order! :) Hope you are having a wonderful start to your week!

      Delete
  6. What girl didn't love Lisa Frank?! And you are totally pulling it off. I want your coat...it's simply beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks so much. That is a wonderful comment coming from someone who has such great style! ;)

      Delete
  7. Man I LOVED Lisa Frank as a child! I love this, it's so different! You have the most flawless skin, just gorg!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too sweet, Sarah. I will have to check out your blog, too! :)

      Delete
  8. Um I love this coat!! So pretty. You're always so cute and colorful I love it. I used to love Lisa frank too! Haha I had totally forgotten about her.
    P.S. Following back.:)
    -Jessi
    Haircutandgeneralattitude.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jessi! I absolutely adore your style :) So glad you are following me too. I hope you are having an amazing day! xo

      Delete
  9. Oh, I loved Lisa Frank as well! I had two sets of stationary but instead of using them I'd just look at them:)

    And what a sweet thing to do! Glad you can wear that lovely coat again!

    blueeyednightowl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I think I did that with some of the pencils and erasers :D I just loved looking at them so much and did not want to mess them up! Thank you for your sweet comments, I love your blog! :)

      Delete
  10. yuo use the colors in a fantastic way:) and follow yuo with pleasure

    http://effecoco.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Lisa Frank! I actually still have a few things kicking around my home of hers! Your coat is spectacular, the colors are fantastic! Would you consider using bloglovin for following with your blog too, I would love to follow but I don't use GFC with my blog. :)

    Rebecca
    www.winnipegstyle.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Rebecca!

      I am glad you asked because I hadn't checked into Bloglovin' yet! I now have it (it's right above my followers) so you can add me now! :) Thanks so much for the comments, you are too sweet!

      Delete
  12. This coat is such a fun piece! I remember you from ModSquad and I was so happy to see pop up in the style gallery so much. I love how fearless you are with color! And I was the BIGGEST Lisa Frank fan. So many memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Elana! :) I am happy you remember me from the ModSquad. I love seeing your photos on the photo gallery, I have to say that your smile is just so beautiful and cheery! It makes me happy :) I am following you along now. xo

      Delete
  13. Your outfit posts brighten up my day!
    Your coat is adorable and the outfit underneath, even more so!
    Looooveee the kitty skirt it's so cute!
    I have the same problem with clothes. I have so much that sometimes things go unworn for a while until I remember that I love it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Alllsssooo I've spent the last ten minutes searching for your e-mail :) Can I haz it please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you for the sweet comments! :) Haha, thank you for bringing the email thing to my attention, I think you're the second person that's mentioned it so I finally put it up on my "About me" hehe. It's butterfliesonmars@gmail.com :)

      Delete
    2. Hurray. I'll E-mail you in a bit :) I know you're on the edge of your seat. haha..

      Delete
  15. It really does look like a Lisa Frank folder!!! You are always so cute and colorful.
    Trish

    www.jellybonesblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. The kitty skirt is so cute! And your style is very Liza Frank in color indeed. That coat is awesome and I didnt even know you could reline coats like that!

    <3 katherine / of corgis & cocktails

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love these pictures. All of the bright colors are amazing! And the outfit is so adorable!

    http://heidiswanderings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. This outfit does channel the essence of Lisa Frank's designs! Your coat is quite fun, so sweet of your bf to have it re-lined for your birthday. What a great & thoughtful gift :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I too love Lisa Frank & still have a few items from my childhood. I love your coat & gloves especially! Your make up is always great, too. I can't get enough of bright colours, myself. People often make comments on what I wear; and I've always been into bright colours/rainbow...since I was a little girl. It's just so much fun & uplifting to wear bright colours/rainbow schemes!

    ReplyDelete